Event Recaps

The meeting started at 6:36pm with 29 members attending at the start and 33 with the latecomers.

For the Fundamentals Program, Paul S. gave tips on how to shoot for Park & Rec, which we will hopefully be able to do again soon.

  • Helps them with making for a better event.
  • Helps us because we get free rent in exchange.
  • They are also interested in pictures of the city parks for web and print.

Business meeting

  • Club will be doing a survey. Please fill it out.
  • John gave the treasurer report. If you have a check from LACC, please cash it so we can balance the books.
  • Membership report: a few more checks have come in. Remember that it takes a while so don't wait until the last minute if you are wanting to enter competition.
  • Website report: No update yet; should be this weekend.
  • Rotary lights shoot, December 15.
  • Nothing new from Park & Rec
  • If anyone is interested in signing up for the Photoshop Elements workshop, email Sue.
  • Results are in from October entries. Debbie Ivy merit in Digital Pictorial. Gary Gallagher HM in DP. November N4C newsletter coming soon.
  • Looking for N4C judges. First judging is in January. Prints.
  • Screenshare of the Mentoring part of the website explaining how to be a mentor and where to find them.

Photoshop Elements tip by Sue

  • Recompose tool. Can be used when your picture's aspect ratio doesn't fit your needs.

Competition results.

  • Judges: Brian N. Sonja H. and Danette J.

Meeting started at 6:40. 8 people in attendance.

Oktoberfest photo contest review

  • Could use more variety in types of judges. Two of them were portrait photographers this time.
  • Judging procedure needs to be better defined.
  • Need to start earlier than 6, especially once prints are back in. Need at least 5 hours.
  • Need to start work on the whole contest sooner to ensure all the materials have the kinks worked out and the advertising is out sooner. Consider starting advertising on August 1.
  • Too many entries were allowed per person (fewer than 12).
  • Need to work on prizes. Certificate or plaque for the top winners. Possibly give LACC membership to student winners.
  • Notify teachers in the spring and find out how best to contact them in the fall.

Actions from last meeting

  • Website training Sometime later in November
  • John M. Mailchimp training done.
  • Email N4C newsletters working. Still waiting on sending monthly results.
  • Upcoming shoots Rotary lights. Look into getting on the roof of the Radisson.
  • Improving mentorships. Add forum. Notify mentors of new questions.

Program discussion

  • Need to fill in Nov 24. Discussed whether we are willing to pay a professional that offers a program. Team was in favor. Brian will follow up.

Virtual meetings

  • Zoom license has been purchased.
  • Brian sends info for each meeting.
  • Add info about zoom meetings under membership
  • Attendance is down with the virtual meetings. Should we do a survey on why? Team is ok with it. Brian will follow up.
  • Include phone number to call in to zoom in emails and also put on website.

Competition update

  • No issues.

Misc

  • Dues collection changed to go to Danette
  • Need to make a members export for John & Sue.
  • Add a note to the form to remind people to have their contact info updated.
  • Approval for Smugmug account for event photos.
  • Bylaws revision meeting moved to December.
  • Next leadership meeting after Bylaws are done. Date TBD. Likely January.
     

The meeting started at 6:45 and was attended by 24 people via Zoom.

Fundamentals program by Austin Miller on HDR.

Business meeting:

  • Some members of the leadership team were not present so no reports from their areas.
  • Michelle: Update on the website yesterday. Check the news section.
  • Sue: Have enough judges for now.
  • N4C newsletter came out to the mailing list yesterday. Waiting on N4C judging results to post.
  • Kathy: Mentorship section of the site working well. Looking into doing a forum.
  • November workshop: Sue on Photoshop Elements.
  • Next meeting: Park and Rec shooting by Paul and competition results by Sue.
  • Wizard Workshop Thursday at Black River Beach.
  • Speaker needed for the November 27th meeting.

Main program:
20 years "A Wizard" by Jerry Bonsack.
 

36 people in attendance.
Started off with some socializing and making sure everyone was set up properly for the meeting.
Meeting started at 6:40 PM

Fundamentals program by Dave on F/stop, shutter speed, and ISO basics

Business meeting

  • Brian: Oktoberfest results are up. Thanks to Sue for stepping in when the judging chair had to isolate due to covid.
  • Danette: Membership update. Not a lot of new members.
  • Michelle: Website is being updated on a regular basis. Keep an eye on the news section for updates.
  • Dave: No new field trips. Rotary lights coming up after Thanksgiving.
  • No park & rec updates.
  • Jerry W: Judging went very well with being able to stay safe.
  • John M. N4C: Entries went out to their digital pictorial (our open), nature, digital altered competitions. Our entries came from the May competition. Next month our October will be submitted. New newsletter is available but some difficulties getting it out to the club.
  • Kathy: Working on ways to make mentoring work during the pandemic. Feel free to reach out to the mentors via their contact forms if you have questions.
  • Next meeting: Jerry will demonstrate his wizardry. Workshop in the works to try out these tricks. Austin Miller on HDR. 
  • John: Treasurer report. Payments for judging and to the church for judging location and for N4C/PSA dues.

PSE tip skipped due to technical difficulties.

Main program 

  • Discussion on how to handle voting acceptance. It was decided to use the "raise hand" option.
  • Presentation of the images with commenting by the judges.
     

Fundamentals

Sue took us on a trip through our camera manuals to be sure we all knew how to use important features of our cameras such as the histogram.

Business meeting

  • The Oktoberfest judging delayed until next Tuesday and the results will be posted soon after.
  • EOY awards / prints still need to be picked up. Give John back his garage space!
  • Discussed dues being due and delays on updating the member status due to the list needing to be mailed from John to Danette.
  • Talked about the updates to the website. We have a news section! Read all about it!
  • Field trips - Norskedalen's Civil War Immersion Weekend is October 10/11.  Looking into an evening shoot at the refuge. Stay tuned!
  • Workshop - Viroqua. Sat Oct 3 9am. Meet at the park. Go to Driftless bookstore.
  • Judges - Have Oct/nov. Need December onward.

Main program

Sue led the way once again, this time going over the three judging criteria: Impact, Technique, and Composition and then showed examples of various images while we discussed what made them so good.

The first club meeting of the 2020-2021 was a walk in the park -- literally! We all gathered at the International Gardens to photograph the flowers, architecture, and more. We had a good turnout and a good time was had until the mosquitoes descended for their buffet.

There was no fundamentals or business meeting so nothing to report for those.

Fundamentals:

Paul Schoenfeld presented on photographing Park & Rec. He gave tips on photographing the events, explained how photographing these events is important to both the Park & Rec and us as it enables us to use the meeting space for free, and listed upcoming events.

Business meeting:

  • John Z. - Gave the treasurer's report. Payment to Sue for gift certs for judging.
  • Michelle - Talked about scanning and asked for volunteers to type up old documents
  • Dave - Field trip report. Rotary lights. Next after that will be the Galena trip in the spring.
  • Sue - Put out a request for judges for January and May.
  • John M. - Will start sending out the N4C newsletter. We are starting back up with entering the N4C competitions. Discussed the Ugly Sweater race photography.
  • Cyndy - Talked about judging N4C and asked for volunteers for the judging.
  • Kathy - No updates on the mentor program. It is working fine.

Main program:

  • Photoshop Elements Tip by Sue - Fixing color cast.
  • Competition results